In April 1959, Hiroshima University established a predecessor of the Department of Chemical Engineering in the faculty of engineering for undergraduate students. This was the eighth such department in Japan designed for education of chemical engineering. In April 1976, as part of the reorganization plan of Hiroshima University called the educational clusters (system) framework, Cluster III (Chemistry, Biotechnology, and Process Engineering), consisting of the Departments of Applied Chemistry, Fermentation Engineering, and Chemical Engineering, was established in the faculty of engineering. With cooperation among these departments, education in accordance with the chemical engineering program is currently provided for undergraduate students.
Meanwhile, in April 1963, the graduate school of engineering was organized into nine departments for the master’s course programs. In April 1977, the doctoral course programs were established in the graduate school of engineering, and the nine departments reorganized into seven. The department of chemical engineering belonged to the Transfer Phenomena Department. In 2001, in accordance with strategies to emphasize the graduate school programs, the seven departments were reorganized into four “clusters.” The Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering consisted of clustered research areas of three major courses: Applied Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Green Chemistry, all working together under the concept of “eco-friendly chemistry.” In April 2010, the department spun off into the Department of Applied Chemistry and Department of Chemical Engineering.