What is a URA?
URA stands for University Research Administrator. URAs are human resource personnel responsible for promoting research activities conducted by researchers and enhancing research development management. By supporting researchers at higher education institutions, URAs are involved in the planning and management of research activities and the promotion of utilizing the research outcomes. (URAs are not expected to merely perform administrative procedures related to research.)
In 2011, the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) launched a project called "Developing Systems to Foster and Secure Research Administrators." Consequently, many Japanese higher education institutions have rapidly assigned their own URAs.
Support offered by the URA division
HU's URA division provides various types of research support.
【Examples of Support】
- Pre-award support for those who are applying for external research funding including JST, JSPS, NEDO and AMED. (URAs can check your application for consistency with the purpose of the open call, rationale, typos, etc., and set up a mock practice session if you proceed to the interview screening. Please contact us at the earliest possible stage prior to application.)
- Providing learning materials and information sessions for KAKENHI in English.
- Liaison with Public Relations Group (research press release in English).
- Providing platforms for researchers to interact with one another.
- Survey of research and policy trends.
If you have any inquiries, contact us via email.
Email: ura■office.hiroshima-u.ac.jp (replace ■ with @.)
Find our research support page here.
Characteristics of URAs at HU
The URA organization at HU was reorganized in October 2019. We work on the same floor and in the same organization as other research management professionals.
Under the Office of Research and Academia-Government-Community Collaboration, we have the following divisions related to research management.
- URA Division
- Community Cooperation Division
- Planning Group
- Support Group
URAs work with industrial cooperation coordinators, intellectual property managers, and various staff members on the same floor.
We assign "academic personnel" such as those with doctoral degrees and/or who have the ability to understand research itself. The core of our work is the search of research seeds, with a focus on pre-award activities such as the formulation of research strategies and the acquisition of external funding.
This group consists of administrative personnel who have experience in research administration and research support, including those who have worked for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) or funding agencies. They are responsible for supporting research projects and initiatives, including support for the promotion of URA activities.