For International Applicants (FAQ)

Here are some frequently asked questions for international Applicants. Please see below for the relevant information.

Q1: I’d like to pursue my academic career at your Graduate School.


As to admission, we only accept applications through the expected supervisor at our Graduate School.
Therefore, at first, search whether there is a research field you would like to pursue and a faculty member suitable for your supervisor at our Graduate School. And then, if you find a suitable faculty member, contact her/him directly.
International Office will work with you to meet enrollment requirements once the department has admitted you.

Q2: How can I find the prospective supervisor?


Research fields of faculty can be searched in the “Profiles of Faculty and Research Scholars” section of the Hiroshima University website ( or on this Graduate School’s website (

Q3: What if I can’t find the expected supervisor’s contact information?


If it is difficult for you to find your expected supervisor’s information, contact  International Office (kasumi-kokusai(AT) replace (AT) with @)).
Let the office know your research field and expected supervisor’s name when you inquire.

Q4: When can I apply to the school?


The prospective students admitted to the desired department can take the entrance examination, and there may be multiple chances to take it:
Discuss the schedule of starting the course and taking the entrance exam with the supervisor.
However, we strongly recommend that international students first enroll as research students, study Japanese language and other specialized subjects, and  prepare for the graduate program and the entrance examination. 
For your reference, here are requirements to be research students:

Q5: What are the admission requirements for graduate courses?


As to details of information and requirements, refer to the Application Guideline of your desired course:

Q6: How much will it cost for admission expenses and living expenses?


Regarding the detailed information of living at Hiroshima University, refer to the website:

Q7: Are there any scholarships available?


Regarding the scholarships, there are two types of scholarships; Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho (MEXT)) scholarships and scholarships sponsored by private foundations.
For Japanese Government scholarships, consult with the Japanese Embassy in your country and prepare them before entering Japan. And the scholarships from the foundations are not applicable for the students who have not yet been admitted to our university or are abroad.
You can also obtain other scholarship information in the JASSO (Japanese Student Services Organization) website ( (link is external) )
or the scholarship website of our university (



International Office, Kasumi Campus Management Support Office, Hiroshima University
TEL +81-82-257-1705
E-mail kasumi-kokusai(AT) (Please replace (AT) with @)