Application for Research Students

Students wishing to study a specific subject at either the undergraduate or graduate level may be admitted as research students ("kenkyusei"). Research students are not entitled to degrees upon completion of his/her research work. Most applicants for admission to a graduate school gain admission to the University as a research student first, and then prepare for the entrance examination to the graduate school while researching his/her subject in more detail.

Admission Requirements

[Admission to Graduate School of Education]

  1.  Completion of 16 years of formal education in a foreign country; OR
  2.  Recognition by the Graduate School of Education as having the equivalent qualifications as a research student.

[Admission to School of Education, attached centers or facilities]

  1.  Completion of 14 years of formal education in a foreign country; OR
  2.  Graduated from a university or a junior college in Japan ("tanki daigaku" = in Japan, this means a school which offers a 2 or 3 years of curriculum-based learning), after having completed 12 years of education in a foreign country; OR
  3.  Recognition from Hiroshima University as having the equivalent qualifications as a research student.

Registration Period

Research students are admitted for one semester or one year. He/she may apply for a renewal of the period if necessary for the purpose of his/her studies.

Application Requirements

  1.  Before submitting an application, please find a professor (your academic advisor) who studies an area of your interest and obtain an approval for admission by the said professor. (Refer to "Profiles of Faculty and Research Scholars")
  2.  Next, please register your application through "Online Application." For "Online Application," you will need an account. Please ask your academic advisor or our Student Support Office (Graduate Program) to get the account.
  3.  Then, please send the following required documents to the academic advisor.

[Required Documents]

   1. Application for Enrollment (Please download the prescribed forms below).

   2. Personal History (Please download the prescribed forms below).

   3. Degree transcript or graduation certificate, and transcript of scholastic record
      issued by the university attended.

  •  Please attach Japanese translation of the documents.
  •  Please submit the original documents, not the duplicates. If you cannot get the original ones, please submit the cerfitied copies. When either isn't possible, please contact the Student Support Office (Graduate Program).
  •  For graduates from Chinese universities, please click here (Sorry, only in Japanese).

   4. Recommendation from the head of the department or your academic advisor at the university attended (free format).
      Please attach Japanese translation.

   5. Cerficate of Health (Please download the prescribed form below).

   6. Copy of Residence Certificate including your Visa Status information.
      (If you are not residing in Japan, please submit it after your arrival in Japan.)

Application Deadline

[Applicants residing in Japan]

   Admission in April:      by the end of February
   Admission in October: by the end of August

[Applicants residing outside Japan]

   Admission in April:      by the end of November of the previous year
   Admission in October: by the end of May


Selection will be made on the basis of the documents submitted.
Successful applicants will be notified of admission procedures separately. For the applicants residing outside Japan, "Notice of Acceptance" will be issued. Then, after you complete the admission procedure, "Notice of Research Permission" will be issued. If you don't complete the procedure by the designated deadline, the permission may be cancelled.


Examination Fee:  9,800 yen
Admission Fee:   84,600 yen
Research Fee:    29,700 yen/month
                      178,200 yen/6 months


  1.  When you cancel your application after submitted, please inform both your academic advisor and the Student Support Office (Graduate Program).
  2.  All the examination fee, entrance fee and registration fee which have been already paid are not refundable.
  3.  The research permission may be cancelled when you don't pay your payments or work hard on your research.
  4.  The research permission will be cancelled when it turns out that the submitted documents include false information after the admission registered or the permission issued.
  5.  The admission will be cancelled if those who have been expected to graduate from a university fail to graduate.

Contact Information

Student Support Office (Graduate Program)
Graduate School of Education, Hiroshima University

1-1-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8524 JAPAN
Tel:  +81-(0)82-424-6719 or 4300
Fax: +81-(0)82-424-7108
E-mail: kyouiku-in[AT] (Please change [AT] to @)