Application for Research Student (Non-Degree) (Quantum Matter Program, Graduate School of Advanced Science and Engineering / Program of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Integated Sciences for Life)

AdSM Student Support Office,

Hiroshima University

A non-degree research student refers to a person who makes an application for enrollment to study a specific research subject for a period of one semester or one academic year in principle, is approved by the Faculty Council of the graduate school, completes all designated procedures and is approved to enroll by the President of Hiroshima University.

Before making application, an applicant must contact AdSM Student Support Office as well as get an approval from an academic adviser in his/her research field.


1. Qualifications

A research student should satisfy one of the followings:

    a. Completion of 16 years of formal education in a foreign country.

    b. To be recognized by the Graduate School of Hiroshima University as equivalent to (a).


2. Deadline of Application

【Term of Research  "April 1 - September 30" or "April 1 - March 31"】

  ・Non-resident: November 30   

  ・Resident: February 28

【Term of Research  "October 1 - March 31" or "October 1 - September 30"】

  ・Non-resident: May 31   

  ・Resident: August 31

Application documents will be accepted between 8:30 and 17:15 except Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.


3. Documents and Fee Required for Application

 * English or Japanese translation should be attached if the documents above are written in other languages.
 * The certificates to be submitted must be the originals or certified photocopies. Uncertified photocopies would not be recognized as official certificates.


  a.  Application Form (Prescribed form)
  b.  Personal History (Prescribed form)
  c.  Certificate of graduation or expected graduation, and transcript of scholastic record issued by the university or college attended

     (If you are a university graduate, please make sure that the certificate includes information about your degree.)

  d.  Recommendation letter from the head of the department or faculty, or the supervisor at the university or college attended

  e.  A copy of residence certificate, a certificate of entry in the resident obtained from the Japanese government local administrative office or a copy of resident card (Applicants living in Japan only.)

  f.  A copy of passport, or other public documents certifying nationality (Applicants living out of Japan only.)

  g.  Certificate or record of Japanese or English language test (TOEIC®, TOEFL®, JLPT, EJU, etc.)

  h.  Application Fee: 9,800 yen (See “4. Admisson Procedure”.)

     (Japanese Government Scholarship students will be exempt from the application fee.)

*If you are a graduate or a current student of a university in China (excluding Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau), please obtain the following document by requesting it at“中国高等教育学历证书查询(CHSI)” , and submit it to us together with “毕业证书(Certificate of Graduation” and “学士(硕士)学位证书 (Bachelor/Master's Diploma)”.

◇ Graduates: Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate (教育部学历证书电子注册备案表)

◇ Expected Graduates: Online Verification Report of Student Record (教育部学籍在线验证报告)

  *Please note that applicants must pay the issuing fee for the Online Verification Report (2元/ certificate) by themselves. Also be sure that there are 15 or more days left    until the expiration date of the online verification at the time of its submission.

4. Application Procedure

Application must be made online.
After getting prior approval from an expected supervisor, please send the application documents (a. to g.) to AdSM Student Support Office by email at least 15 days before application deadline. After we confirm those documents, we will ask the applicant to complete online application.
Then send the original application documents by post before the application deadline.

Online application


5. Screening of Applicants and Admission Procedure

Our faculty council members will review the submitted application documents. Successful applicants will be notified of admission procedure..

  a.  Applicants residing in Japan

    We will ask the applicant to submit some documents for admission and pay the admission fee of 84,600 yen by the designated period. After that, a “Certificate of Admission” will be given to the applicant.

  b.  Applicants residing outside Japan

    A “Letter of Acceptance” will be sent to the applicant. After coming to Japan, we will ask the applicant to submit some documents for admission and pay the admission fee of 84,600 yen by the designated period. After that, a “Certificate of Admission” will be given to the applicant.

    Acceptance will be cancelled in case that these procedures are not completed by the admission date. (Japanese Government Scholarship students will be exempt from the admission fee.)


6. Others

a.  After application, if you want to cancel it, please notify to AdSM Student Support Office in writing as soon as possible.

b.  Please also read the attached “Hiroshima University Regulations Regarding Foreign Research Students” in advance

c.  Research fee is 29,700 yen per one month. (Japanese Government Scholarship students will be exempt from the research fee.) Payment should be made on one semester (6 month) basis. “Research Fee Transfer Forms” for payment by bank transfer (cash not accepted) will be sent to the student after admission.

d.  Fees required for research, experiments, and practical training shall be the responsibility of research student as appropriate.

e.  Admission for research will be canceled if a research student doesn’t pay his/her research fees within 3 months of the date of admission.

f.  The application fee, admission fee, and research fee are non-refundable.  The amount of these fees shown here may be revised. If revised, the most recent fees will apply.

g.  Any forgery or falsification of the documents and/or academic fraud would result in cancellation of acceptance even after passing admission.

h.  If an applicant could not graduate from the university before the admission date, he/she would lose the eligibility to enter our graduate school in this session.

i.  If a research student wishes to continue his/her study after the designated term as a research student, he/she can continuously enroll at AdSM by submitting a prescribed form at least 30 days prior to the last day of the designated research term. In this case, application fee and entrance fee will not be required.

j.  All personal data provided by an applicant at the time of application, including name, date of birth, sex and other personal information, will be used only for the decision of admission. After admission, these personal data will be under the supervision of Hiroshima University for the purposes of student supports and surveys and will be disclosed only to relevant faculty members and administrative staff of Hiroshima University. In some cases, Hiroshima University may provide an outsourcing firm with these personal data to entrust computer processing of these data under the conclusion of an agreement concerning proper treatment of personal information.