Important Information for Incoming Students

As an international student in Japan there are several legal obligations you will have to follow. The most important are listed below.

Information for New Students

You can click below for downloads to get useful information for new students.

Booklet for 'Information for New Student'

Residence Card (Zairyu Card 在留カード)

A “Residence Card” is issued to residents who will stay in Japan for more than 3 months. It will be issued at the airport if you arrive at Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai, Fukuoka, Shin-Chitose or Hiroshima Airport, or will be sent to you after your arrival in Japan if you arrive at other airports. You must carry it with you wherever you go. If you are requested to show it by a government official you must do so without question. If you do not have it with you or present it, a certain penalty may be imposed.


Notification of Place of Residence

Please go to the municipal office with your passport and residence card (if available) to submit a notification of moving in within 14 days of finding a place to settle down. If you change your address, you must notify the municipal office of the change within 14 days. If you move to another city, you will need to submit a notification both before moving out and after moving in to each municipal office (City Hall).
*Please submit the notification by yourself.


Opening Bank Account  銀行口座開設

Students are required to open a Bank Account after they arrive in Japan.  All is explained in the HUSA Program Orientation.  Fee for electricity and water supply will be withdrawn from the account. 


VISA - Acquisition of Resident Status

Temporary leave from Japan and Re-Entry

Persons who will be re-entering Japan within 1 year are not required to apply for a re-entry permit.
Be sure to present your residence card (or alien registration card) along with your passport at departure. Please check the box of “Departure with Special Re-entry Permission” on the Embarkation card for re-entrant (E/D card).

The HUSA Students who go abroad for attending international congresses, private travel, temporary return and others should submit the Registration for overseas travels and foreign student’s temporary return to home country. This registration aims to keep track of overseas activities of students, and allows us to act as promptly as possible when you encounter an accident, disasters and any other forms of emergency.  Please fill out the form and submit to the International Exchange Group office (2Fl., Student Plaza) before you leave for the travel. We will request your supervisor to put the stamp or signature in order to get the supervisor's approval.

Click below for the Travel Report file.

Part-Time Job

In principle, you may not undertake work on a college student VISA, as your primary objective to come to Japan is supposed to be study. However, HUSA regards part-time work, as long as it does not interfere with your academic performance, as a valuable addition to your experience in Japan, as it allows you to meet Japanese people outside of the university.

You can receive permission to engage in wage-earning activities for a limited number of hours per week. You are allowed to work a maximum of 28 hours per week during the semester and up to 8 hours per day during vacations. There are however limits to the kinds of activities you can engage in.

For example, you are NOT allowed to work in entertainment establishments such as bars and nightclubs. Japan is facing a large problem with illegal workers and raids are frequent. Since April 2000 working illegally in Japan is regarded as a crime, so you will not only be deported, but processed as a criminal as well.

If you want to engage in part-time work, please refer below MOMIJI website for more details.



International Center provides counseling service for international students.  Please refer to MOMIJI student portal website for more details.