Japanese website is here.

History

School of Science at Hiroshima University was organized based on Department of Mathematics, Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry, Department of Biology, Department of Geophysics, and Marine Biological Laboratory of former Hiroshima University of Literature and Science founded in 1929.

May 31, 1949
Hiroshima University was established. (the 150 law)
Other than School of Science, 5 Faculties were provided.
Research Institute for Theoretical Physics was established as an institute attached to Hiroshima University.
The composition at the School of Science at the establishment was as follows,
*Department of Mathematics 5 chairs
*Department of Physics 6 chairs
*Department of Chemistry 6 chairs
*Department of Biology (later Animal Science and Plant Biology) 6 chairs
*Department of Physical Geography 3 chairs
*Marine Biological Laboratory

April 1, 1953
Graduate School of Science (Master's Courses and Doctor's Courses) was established. (the 25 law, the 51 government ordinances)
The composition at Graduate School of Science at the establishment was follows,
Department of Mathematics (Master's Course and Doctor's Course)
Department of Physics (Master's Course and Doctor's Course)
(Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Hiroshima University was included)
Department of Chemistry (Master's Course and Doctor's Course)
Department of Animal Science (Master's Course and Doctor's Course)
Department of Plant Biology (Master's Course and Doctor's Causes)
Department of Geology and Mineralogy (Master's Course and Doctor's Course)

April 1, 1954
The chair of Petrology was added to Department of Physical Geography.
September 7, 1954
The kind and the number of chairs (being base of postgraduate course of the Graduate School) put on the school of National Universities were provided as follows. (the 23 ministerial ordinance)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics, 5 chairs
Department of Physics, 6 chairs
Department of Chemistry, 6 chairs
Department of Biology, 6 chairs
Department of Geography, 4 chairs

April 1, 1957
Laboratory of Crystal Physics was established. (the 7 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1960
The chair of Polymer Chemistry was added to Department of Chemistry. (the 7 ministerial ordinance)
Division of "Field Theory and Space-Time Structure" was added to Research Institute for Theoretical Physics.

April 1, 1961
The chair of Mathematical Statistics was added to Department of Mathematics. (the 8 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1964
Department of Material Science was established. (the 12 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1965
The chairs of Magnetism, Interface Material Science, and Metallic Material Science were added to Department of Material Science. (the 20 ministerial ordinance)
Divisions of "Gravitational and Space-Time Theory" and "Field Theory and Space-Time Structure" were renamed respectively as "Gravitational Theory" and "Field Theory", and Division of "Space-Time Theory" was added to Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Hiroshima University. (the 21 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1966
The chairs of Radiation Material Science and Semiconductor Science were added to Department of Material Science. (the 23 Ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1967
The chairs of "Number Theory" and "Topology" were added to Department of Mathematics.
The chairs of Non-Metal Science and Macromolecular Materials Science were added to Department of Material Science. (the 3 ministerial ordinance)

June 1, 1967
Institute for Amphibian Biology was established. (the 11 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1968
The chair of Differential Equation was added to Department of Mathematics. (the 17 ministerial ordinance)
Master's Course for Department of Material Science was established. (the 32-16 ministerial notice)

April 1, 1969
The chair of Probability Theory was added to Department of Mathematics.
The chairs of Reaction Organic Chemistry and Natural Organic Chemistry were added to Department of Chemistry. (the 14 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1970
The chair of Structural Chemistry was added to Department of Chemistry. (the 14 ministerial ordinance)
Doctor's Course for Department of Material Science was established. (the 32-16 ministerial notice)

April 1, 1971
The chair of Coordination Chemistry was added to Department of Chemistry. (the 19 ministerial ordinance)

April 12, 1973
Division of "Astro Physics" was added to Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Hiroshima University. (the 8 ministerial ordinance)

April 11, 1974
Miyajima Natural Botanical Garden was established. (the 13 ministerial ordinance)

April 18, 1977
Laboratory of Plant Chromosome and Gene Stock was established. (the 11 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1981
Division of "Physiological Ecology" (Visiting Researchers) was added to Institute for Amphibian Biology.

April 1, 1984
Division of "Evolutionary Biochemistry" (10 years duaration) was added to Institute for Amphibian Biology.

May 21, 1987
The chair of Molecular Genetics was added to Department of Biology. (the 19 ministerial ordinance)

April 8, 1988
The chair of Bioinformatics was added to Department of Biology. (the 16 ministerial ordinance)

May 29, 1989
The chair of Optical Properties of Solids was added to Department of Material Science. (the 25 ministerial ordinance)
Division of "Character Manifestation Mechanism" was added to Institute for Amphibian Biology. (the 191 ministerial notice)

June 8, 1990
Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Hiroshima University was abolished.
(Integrated into the Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Kyoto University. (the 130 government ordinance)

September 30, 1991
School of Science and Graduate School of Science was relocated to Higashi-Hiroshima City from Hiroshima City. (with exception for several attached facilities)

January 31, 1992
Institute for Amphibian Biology was relocated to Higashi-Hiroshima City from Hiroshima City.

March 31, 1992
Laboratory of Plant Chromosome and Gene Stock was relocated to Higashi-Hiroshima City from Hiroshima City.

April 1, 1992
Department of Physical Geography was reorganized to Department of Earth and Planetary Systems Science. (the 9 ministerial ordinance)

April 19, 1992
In Department of Earth and Planetary Systems Science, the chair of Historical Geology, Petrology, Mineralogy, and Science of Ore Deposits was renamed as the chair of Global Environment Evolution Study, Structural Geology and Tectonics, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, and Earth Planet Matter Cycle Study, respectively. (the 16 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1993
Department of Biology was renamed as Department of Biological Science. (the 10 ministerial ordinance)
The chairs put on Department of Biological Science were decided to be "Developmental Biology, Protistology, Molecular Physiology, Taxonomy and Ecology, Functional Biochemistry, and Cell Biology". (the 18 ministerial ordinance)
The chair of Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors was added to Department of Earth and Planetary Systems Science. (the 18 ministerial ordinance)
Master's Course for Department of Gene Science was added to Graduate School of Science. (the 113 ministerial notice)
Department of Animal Science and Plant Biology in Graduate School of Science were renamed as Department of Biological Science. (the 16 ministerial notice)
The chairs of Gene Expression, Molecular Plant Biology, and Gene Chemistry were established in Graduate School of Science. (the 18 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1994
Division of Evolution Biochemistry in Institute for Amphibian Biology was abolished.

June 24, 1994
Division of "Speciation Mechanism" was added to Institute for Amphibian Biology. (10 years duration)

April 1, 1995
Doctor's Course for Department of Gene Science was established in Graduate School of Science.

April 1, 1996
Department of Geology and Mineralogy in Graduate School of Science was renamed as Department of Earth and Planetary Systems Science. (the 10-3 ministerial notice)

May 11, 1996
Laboratory of Crystal Physics was abolished. (the 18 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1997
The chair of Particle Beam Science was added to Graduate School of Science. (the 15 ministerial ordinance)

April 1, 1998
Department of Physics and Department of Material Science in School of Science were reorganized as Department of Physical Science.
Department of Physics and Department of Material Science in Graduate School of Science were reorganized as Department of Physical Science.

April 1, 1999
Division of "Differentiation Mechanism" was added to Institute for Amphibian Biology.
Division of "Phenotypic Expression Mechanism" of Institute for Amphibian Biology was abolished.
In accordance with emphasizing the Graduate School Programs, Department of Mathematics, Department of Chemistry, and Department of Mathematical and Life Science were reorganized.

April 1, 2000
In accordance with emphasizing the Graduate School Programs, Department of Physical Science, Department of Biological Science, and Department of Earth and Planetary Systems Science were reorganized.
Institutions attached to School of Science (Marine Biological Laboratory, Miyajima Botanical Garden, Institute for Amphibian Biology, and Laboratory of Plant Chromosome and Gene Stock) were shifted to Graduate School of Science.

April 1, 2004
Shifted to National University Corporation Hiroshima University.
Division of "Speciation Mechanism" in Institute for Amphibian Biology was converted to Division of "Diversification Mechanism".

April 1, 2007
Institute for Interdisciplinary Science was established.

October 1, 2016
Amphibian Research Center was established.

April 1, 2017
Department of Physical Science in the Faculty was renamed to Department of Physics.

 


up