Frequently Asked Questions

1. About the Program

Q1. What kind of students are qualified to participate in the program?

A1. G.ecbo program is designed for all the graduate school students of Hiroshima University; those who are enrolled in the master and doctoral programs of Hiroshima University can apply for the program.  For there are some cases where a high level of efficiency in English would not be required (e.g. sent as a teacher of Japanese), we encourage each and every student to sign up for the G.ecbo program.
Given the nature of the internship and the level of efficiency in English required at host institutions, i-ECBO program (IDEC specialized internship program) is only for the students registered in Hiroshima University Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC).

G.ecbo program aims at fostering leading practical researchers and highly skilled international-level specialists in the international society. The applicants will be sent as an intern to host institutions in developing countries (e.g., universities, private companies, NGOs, etc.) for one to six months; there, they are required (1) to perceive the diversity of international societies, (2) to soak themselves in the international research and practice, (3) to find new research subjects and (4) to make the most of those experiences and stimulate other students when they return to Hiroshima University.
The applicants will set their objectives in accordance with the enterprise and/or research of their host institution, implementing their duties there.  
As the requirements in basic knowledge and qualities can vary depending on host institutions, the future applicants should consult an application guidelines.

Q2. Can students of IDEC apply for both G.ecbo and i-ECBO programs?

A2. Yes. But note that the program cannot afford to send you to two institutions in one academic year; you have to choose one institution as your first choice.

Q3. What kind of host institution could you offer?

A3. Every year we review and announce the list of host institutions in April.  The list is attached to the application guideline.  We, however, may make some modifications to the list in the middle of an academic year, due to the international situation.

Q4. How much would it cost?

A4. It depends on host institutions.  The applicants have to pay for the passport and visa (including traveling expenses in applying), what are needed to conduct their research (e.g., paper for questionnaires, interpreters), traveling and staying expenses at host countries, travel insurance and inoculations.  
G.ecbo/i-ECBO program supports a round trip expenses  and plane and/or train fares to the domestic airport from which the applicants depart Japan.  Sometimes the program can provide partial financial support for living expenses during internship.

Q5. How can I apply for the programs?

A5. In principle, the programs accept applications for enrollment once in a year, in April (the applicants will be sent to host institutions from in summer to the end of the academic year). 
The application guideline will appear on the website of G.ecbo program.  After submitting the application documents, the applicants will be called for interview somewhere between the end of April and the beginning of May.  The interview will be held when the applicant does not have a lecture.  The result will be announced around the middle of May.  
G.ecbo program may also recruit applicants in Autumn (in this case, the applicants will be sent in winter).

※Year-round Schedule

Q6. Will Hiroshima University give us credits for G.ecbo and i-ECBO?

A6. If your own graduate school gives credits for internship, yes.  In that case, please consult the staff of your graduate school about the rule and procedure.  
IDEC have a regular course for internship; if you follow the proper procedure, the department will grant you two credits.  If you are not from IDEC and your department does not have a regular course for overseas internship, IDEC can grant you the credits for the internship.  The procedure will be on the internship guidelines, which will be given to the successful candidates.
In any case, the participation to the internship itself does not grant you credits.

Q7. Can we read the stories and information of the past applicants?

A7. Stories from the past applicants are on the website and G.ecbo Newsletter.  We also have reports and pieces of advice for future applicants from the past applicants.  Please make inquiries at the G.ecbo office (the 2nd floor of the Students' Plaza) or i-ECBO Support office of IDEC.

2. About the Pre-Program Training

Q1. I am not from IDEC.  Do I have to take the course of "Developing Designing Ability?"

A1. We recommend all of the participants to take the course, for it is designed to assist in developing their communicative abilities and negotiation skills.  However, if you are participating in Specialized ECBO Programs (e-ECBO of Graduate school of Engineering), the course is not mandatory.

Q2. What the G.ecbo English Presentation Training would be like?

A2. G.ecbo program will coordinate the class time and offer the pre-internship courses for the participants.  The course is designed to prepare them for the program by offering three chances to make English presentations on some specific themes (e.g. host countries, research topics, etc.).

Q3. What the Voluntary English Course in the Institute for Foreign Language Research and Education (FLARE) would be like?

A3. Institute for Foreign Language Research and Education (FLARE) offers a non-credit course to the university students and staff. 
For more detailed information, please visit  (External link).

FLARE also offers regular courses (University Wide Courses for Graduate Students), where you can earn credit.  Please visit My Momiji, and select "Syllabus">"Institute for Foreign Language Research and Education (University Wide Courses for Graduate Students)" and register for the subjects depending on your needs.

Q4. What if the class time for the G.ecbo mandatory classes was occupied?

A4. If you have trouble in taking mandatory classes, please consult to G.ecbo Program Office.