Welcome to Program of Medicine, School of Medicine, Hiroshima University
Message from the Head, Program of Medicine
Characteristics of Program of Medicine;
- Geographical location: Located in the center of Hiroshima City, the largest city in Chugoku and Shikoku area. It is a rare place where you can feel the bustle of the city and nature at the same time. It is the only medical school in Hiroshima Prefecture with a population of 2.8 million.
- History: Originates from Hiroshima Prefectural Medical School and Clinic, which opened in 1945, which has been producing a plenty of medical doctors and researchers who support medical care in Hiroshima Prefecture and in worldwide.
- Curriculum: Kasumi Campus is a comprehensive medical campus with School of Medicine consisting Program of Medicine and Program of Health Sciences, School of Pharmaceutical, and School of Dentistry. Interprofessional education (IPE) is provided across faculties and departments. The curriculum includes lectures, exercises, small group discussions, and PBL (Problem-based learning) tutorials.
- Research: For four months in the fourth year, students are assigned to laboratories or affiliated overseas laboratories to experience basic research. The MD-PhD course students receive regular undergraduate education until the fourth year and enter graduate school in the fifth year of enrollment, where they devote three to four years to research and obtain a doctoral degree.
Program of Medicine aims to educate students with the following human resource development goals.
- Human resources with philosophy, ethics, and humanity essential for medical professionals.
- To provide students with advanced medical knowledge and skills to contribute to the improvement of medical care and medical standards in Japan and internationally.
- Contribution to the improvement of health and medical care in Hiroshima Prefecture and the surrounding areas.
Program of Medicine eagers students with sincere personalities who are capable of dealing sincerely with medicine and medical research, and who have a strong sense of social responsibility and ethics. The road to becoming a physician or a medical researcher is not an easy one. We hope that you will choose our program with faith and hope.
Welcome to Program of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Hiroshima University
Message from the Head, Program of Health Sciences
Program of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Hiroshima University was established in 1992 with 3 courses; Nursing Course, Physical Therapy Course and Occupational Therapy Course. Physical Therapy Course and Occupational Therapy Course were started as the first four-year degree program in health sciences at Japanese universities, while Nursing Course was established as a pioneer in a four-year nursing education. Since then, many graduates who completed their studies at the Program of Health Sciences, have been playing central roles as leaders in health, medical care and welfare as well as educators and researchers at educational research institutions.
Our program aims to cultivate outstanding medical professionals in health sciences by providing students with specific support and strategies as follows:
- to develop abilities to understand and apply basics in health sciences, to find problems and solution measures, to promote communication and information literacy skills responding to internationalization and computerization
- to focus on a team medical care education making the most of a medical campus consisting School of Medicine; Program of Medicine and Program of Health Sciences, School of Dentistry and School of Pharmaceutical Sciences that is one of the few medical campuses in Japan
- to offer a comprehensive type of exam (typeⅡ), that is a consistent education from bachelor’s degree to doctoral degree
- to develop various support systems including going abroad or training programs by strengthening collaborations with overseas universities
Our program aims to nurture medical practitioners who can provide comprehensive medical and health services, equipped with necessary qualities; social skills, a rich sense of humanity and high ethical standards, in addition to academic ability and knowledge. The 4 years of students’ university life is also essential for human development, enhanced by social interactions with many people including participation in circle or club activities, along with their studies.
Japan has been facing drastic changes such as rapid globalization and aging society.
The Program of Health Science, School of Medicine, Hiroshima University will strive to work together to foster healthcare professionals who can tackle with the social challenges.