History

History

◆Feb. 1945
Approval was granted to establish Hiroshima Prefectural Medical School and Clinic, to be located within the city of Hiroshima.

◆Mar. 1945
Hiroshima Prefectural Medical School was opened.

◆Apr. 1945
Hiroshima Prefectural Hospital was designated to be the medical school’s attached clinic.

◆Aug. 1945
Because of heavy air raids, students and personnel evacuated the medical school and relocated at Korinbo Temple at Oda-mura, Takata-gun. On the following day, the atomic bomb wiped out the medical school and attached clinic.

◆Dec. 1945
The medical school and attached clinic was reestablished at the remains of Yasuura Marine Base, Kamo-gun.

◆Nov. 1946
The city of Kure decided to have its two municipal hospitals function as attached clinics for the medical school.

◆Feb. 1947
・Authority of the two municipal hospitals in Kure was transferred to Hiroshima Prefecture.
・Kure Shimin Hospital was designated as the medical school’s main clinic, and Kure Hospital was designated as a satellite clinic in Aga.
・To make it possible to elevate the status of the medical school to that of a medical college, the city of Kure provided a campus at the former site of the Imperial Navy’s barracks for draftees, in Niko-cho.

◆Jun. 1947
Permission was granted for establishing Hiroshima Prefectural Medical College and for preliminary operation of the facilities.

◆Nov. 1947
・The medical school was relocated to the satellite clinic at Aga in Kure.
・Kure also began to build a new satellite clinic (Ondo Bun’in) in Kegoya-cho.

◆Feb. 1948
The administrative headquarters and the basic medical science laboratories moved to what was formerly the Naval Kyosai Hospital at Aga-cho in Kure.

◆Mar. 1948
・Approval was given to build Hiroshima Prefectural Medical College.
・The main medical clinic was moved to the remains of Hiro Kyosai Hospital, and also the remains of a hospital at Koen-dori were designated as Niko Satellite Clinic.

◆Apr. 1948
The medical school became Hiroshima Prefectural Medical College(under the former system). The attached clinics were appropriately renamed as well.

◆Dec. 1950
Niko Satellite Clinic was closed.

◆Mar. 1951
Hiroshima Prefectural Medical College, under its current status of accreditation, closed its first two years of preparatory curriculum.

◆Feb. 1952
・The attached clinic was redesignated to be an attached hospital.
・The medical college was reaccredited under a newly developed system for accrediting higher education in Japan.

◆Mar. 1952
Hiroshima Prefectural Medical College (under the former system of accreditation) was officially closed.

◆Apr. 1952
Under the name Hiroshima Medical College, the medical school and attached hospital began to operate under its new accreditation.

◆Aug. 1953
・The Faculty of Medicine (School of Medicine) was established.
・Hiroshima Medical College began a process to become part of Hiroshima University as the Faculty of Medicine.
・At that time the medical college transferred its basic sciences over to the university: two departments of anatomy, one each of physiology, biochemistry, and pharmacology,two of pathology, and one department of bacteriology.

◆Apr. 1954
Six more departments were transferred from Hiroshima Medical College to Hiroshima University Faculty of Medicine: one each of hygiene and legal medicine, and two each of internal medicine and surgery.

◆Apr. 1955
・A Medical Study Course was established at the Faculty of Medicine.
・Four more departments were transferred from Hiroshima Medical College: Public Health, psychiatry, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology.

◆Mar. 1956
Hiroshima Medical College was closed.

◆Apr. 1956
・Four more departments were transferred from Hiroshima Medical College: orthopaedic surgery, de-rmatology and urology, ophthalmology, and otorhinolaryngology.
・The attached hospitals (main hospital, Aga, and Ondo) were transferred from prefectural to national authority to become Hiroshima University Hospital.
・A nursing school was established at the University Hospital.

◆Nov. 1956
The attached Ondo Hospital was closed.

◆Feb. 1957
The administrative sections and the basic science departments completed relocation to the current location of the Faculty of Medicine at Kasumi in the city of Hiroshima.

◆Apr. 1957
・The department of Radiology was established at the School of Medicine.
・A satellite attached hospital was established in the city of Kure.

◆Sep. 1957
・The clinical departments and the University Hospital were transferred to the current location of the Faculty of Medicine at Kasumi in the city of Hiroshima.
・The attached hospital at Aga was closed.

◆Oct. 1957
The University Hospital at its current location in Kasumi officially opened, as did the attached hospital at Hiromachi in the city of Kure.

◆Apr. 1958
The Institute for Nuclear Radiation Research was established as a unit affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Aug. 1958
・The Second Department of Physiology was added in the Faculty of Medicine.
・The already existing Department of Physiology was renamed the First Department of Physiology.
・The Faculty of Medicine now had 23 Departments.

◆Apr. 1960
The department of Public Health was added in the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Mar. 1961
Hiroshima Prefectural Medical College (under the old system of accreditation) was closed.

◆Apr 1961
・The Research Institute for Radiation Biology and Medicine was established.
・In conjunction with this, the Institute for Nuclear Radiation Research in the Faculty of Medicine was closed.

◆Apr. 1962
Due to incorporation of staff and facilities into the main University Hospital, the attached hospital at Kure was closed.

◆Apr. 1963
The class size in the Faculty of Medicine was expanded by 20 students, making the capacity 60 students for each year.

◆Apr. 1964
The Department of Dermatology and Urology was divided into the Department of Dermatology and the Department of Urology.

◆Apr. 1966
・The class size for incoming medical students was increased by 20, now making the capacity 80 students per year.
・The Department of Anesthesiology was added in the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Apr. 1967
The Faculty of Medicine Branch Library of the university’s library system was redesignated the Medical Branch Library.

◆Jun. 1967
The Department of Parasitology was added in the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Dec. 1967
Anatomy Training Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Apr. 1968
The class size for incoming medical students was increased by 20, now making the capacity 100 students per year.

◆Apr. 1969
The School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was established at the Faculty of Medicine. The class capacity was 40 students was opened in the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Apr. 1970
The Departments of Medicinal Chemistry, Physiological Chemistry, and Pharmacognocy were established at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

◆May 1970
Basic Lecture Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Mar. 1971
・Basic Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.
・Irradiation chamber for linear accelerators, RI Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was established.

◆Apr. 1971
The Departments of Hygienic Chemistry and Pharmacochemistry were established at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

◆May 1971
High Energy Radiation Therapy Room and Radioisotope Center were opened in the University Hospital.

◆Apr. 1972
The Departments of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics were established at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

◆Feb. 1973
Clinical Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Apr. 1973
The Third Department of Internal Medicine was established at the School of  Medicine.

◆Mar. 1974
Lecture Building A and B for School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of the Faculty of Medicine were completed.

◆Apr. 1974
・The class size for incoming medical students was increased by 20, now making the capacity 120 students per year.
・The Department of Neurosurgery was established at the School of Medicine.

◆Apr. 1975
・The Second Department of Biochemistry was established at the School of  Medicine.
・The already existing Department of Biochemistry was renamed the First Department of Biochemistry.

◆Apr. 1976
A Nursing Department of the Nursing Course was established at the attached Nursing School which became a specialized training college.

◆Apr. 1977
The Japanese name of the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences was changed to reflect a reorganization into five departments: Department of Medicinal Chemistry,Department of Medicinal Chemistry of Natural Products, Department of Analytical Chemistry,Department of Public Health Chemistry, and Department of Pharmacobiodynamics.

◆Apr. 1978
The Department of Pharmaceutics and Therapeutics was established at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

◆Nov. 1978
The Institute of History of Medicine was opened.

◆Sep. 1979
・Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.
・Clinical Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Dec. 1979
・Basic Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Apr. 1980
The Experimental Station of Medicinal Plants was established at the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Mar. 1982
Greenhouses were established in the Experimental Station of Medicinal Plants, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Mar. 1983
Administrative building for the Experimental Station of Medicinal Plants, Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Mar. 1984
Archery training hall and its clubroom were established.

◆Apr. 1985
The Department of Clinical Pathology was established at the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Apr. 1988
Research Facilities for Laboratory Animal Science were established as units affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Apr. 1989
The class size in the School of Medicine was reduced by 20 students to make the class size 100.

◆May 1989
The administrative sections of Faculty of Medicine and of University Hospital were integrated into one body, with sections of General affairs, Administration affairs, Educational affairs, and Medical affairs.

◆Jun. 1990
The Department of Anesthesiology was renamed the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care.

◆Apr. 1992
・A School of Health Sciences was established at the Faculty of Medicine, with class sizes of 60 students for Division of Nursing, 30 students for Division of Physical Therapy, and 30 students for Division of Occupational Therapy.
・The Department of Basic Physical Therapy and Department of Physical Therapy for Motor and Metabolic Dysfunction were established at the School of Health Sciences.
・The Nursing School stopped admitting new students.

◆Apr. 1993
At the School of Health Sciences, the following departments were established: Health and Basic Nursing, Clinical Nursing, Community and Geriatric Nursing, Basic Occupational Therapy, and Occupational Therapy for Physical and Mental Dysfunction.

◆Feb. 1994
An RI research building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Mar. 1994
The Nursing School was closed.

◆Jan. 1996
A building of the School of Health Sciences of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆May 1996
The Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine was established at the School of Medicine.

◆Nov. 1996
Kojin Kaikan (the building of the alumni association of the Department of Medicine) was completed.

◆Apr. 1997
The Department of Parasitology was renamed the Department of Immunology and Parasitology.

◆Nov. 1997
Nursing Course Research Building of the Faculty of Medicine was completed.

◆Oct. 1999
・The Institute of History of Medicine was completed.
・Kasumi Education and Research Center for Information Media Processing was set up in the Faculty of Medicine.

◆Mar. 2000
The relocated Institute of History of Medicine was opened.

◆Apr. 2002
School of Medicine and School of Pharmaceutical Sciences were closed, because Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences was estabilished. School of Medicine 8 subjects of study, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences 5 subjects of study were set in up the new department.

◆Apr. 2003
Research Facility for Laboratory Animal Science was closed, because Natural Science Center for Basic Research and Development was established.

◆Oct. 2003
Administratons of Faculty of Medicine, Administrations of Facultyof Dentistry and Administrations of Research Institute for Radiation Biology and Medicine was changed to reflect a reorganization Adminisitrations of University Hospital and Adminisitrations of Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.

◆Apr. 2004
・Hiroshima University was renamed Hiroshima University National University Corporation under the National University Corporation Law.
・Due to the reorganization of programs in the Graduate School of Health Sciences, all divisions of Health Sciences in the Faculty of Medicine were closed, and 3 subjects of study were established at the School of Health Sciences.

◆May 2004
The former East-Wing was renovated to Biomedical Research Building.

◆Jun. 2004
Kasumi Informational Education Office was founded.

◆Oct. 2005
The Education Development Center for Medical Staff was established as a unit affiliated with the Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry.

◆Apr. 2006
・The School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of the Faculty of Medicine was closed.
・The Experimental Station of Medicinal Plants affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine was transferred to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and the Education Development Center for Medical Staff affiliated with the Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry was reorganized as a unit affiliated with the Facilities of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences.

◆Feb. 2007
The anti-seismic reinforcement of Basic and Sociomedical Research Building (ex- basic research building) was completed.

◆Apr. 2009
The class size for School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine was increased by 10, making the capacity 110 students per year.

◆Apr. 2010
・The class size for School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine was increased by 7, making the capacity 117 per year.
・Endowed course (Regional Medical System, Faculty of Dentistry) was founded in collaboration with Hiroshima Prefecture.

◆Apr. 2012
・School of Medicine was closed, because Graduate School of Biomedical & Health Sciences was estabilished. School of Medicine 1 subject of study was set in up the new department.
・Advanced Medical Training Center was established.
・The Education Development Center for Medical Staff affiliated with the Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences was abolished and Center for Medical Education was set up.

◆Apr. 2013
A quota per year for School of Medicine was increased to 120.

◆Dec. 2014
The anti-seismic reinforcement of Central Research Building (ex- First Central Medical Building) was completed.

◆Jun. 2015
The Ceremony for 70th Anniversary of the School of Medicine and 60th Anniversary of the Alumni Association KOUJIN were jointly held.

◆Jan. 2016
The anti-seismic reinforcement of Clinical Research Building was completed.

◆Apr. 2016
Advanced Medical Training Center was closed.

◆Nov. 2018
School of Medicine was officially accredited as the institution that provides basic medical education meeting the global standards required by Japan Accreditation Council for Medical Education (JACME).

 

※For information on the graduate school, please visit the following website.
 


up