Biomedical Sciences Major aims to cultivate the following personnel:
- Educators / researchers who can acquire comprehensive knowledge and highly-specialized clinical competency, while playing academic・international leadership roles
- Advanced medical professionals who can develop and apply the forefront of medical technologies in response to the demands of the times
Program of Dental Sciences (Doctoral Course) provides distinctive research themes that are no seen in the other fields related to life sciences as follows:
- Elucidation of molecular mechanisms and new preventive measures for dental diseases including dental caries, periodontal disease, malocclusion in oral and maxillofacial regions
- Elucidation and development of treatments for intractable dental diseases including temporomandibular disorders, glossalgia, and oral cancer
- Regenerative dental medicine for lost teeth, periodontal tissues and jaw bones
- Development of new medical techniques by academic collaborations for biomaterial development and information dental-medical engineering
- Studies on prevention, health development and promotion dentistry that elucidate relations with food education, oral and systemic diseases
- Research on maintenance and improvement of oral functions including mastication and swallowing
The program also pursues to identify universal phenomenon of life in dentistry that promotes advanced basic research and clinical research in dentistry. Moreover, students are provided great opportunities to present their research achievements or carry out international joint research activities at international conferences including “Hiroshima Conference” hosted by Hiroshima University School of Dentistry.
Thus, the Program of Dental Sciences aims to cultivate the next generation of educators / researchers in dental medicine and high-leveled clinical experts in each dental field, by building environments to equip students with extensive knowledge, problem solving skills, creative scientific mind and global perspectives.
The program aims to cultivate the following personnel:
- Those who can acquire the ability to integrate / develop the field of dental medicine through carrying out the advanced basic dental research
- Those who can acquire the ability to develop the advanced dental medicine resulted from clinical application based on the advanced basic dental research, and the ability to widely spread the studies at both local and international levels
Education / Research Objectives
In order to cultivate the personnel above, the program aims to provide opportunities to acquire the following skills:
- Ability to develop dental practice that promotes a healthy masticatory system while understanding mastication
- Ability to develop dental practice that maintains and promotes masticatory functions and mechanisms while understanding changes in chewing force with aging
- Ability to develop new reconstruction methods and knowledge to recover lost masticatory functions and mechanisms
- Ability to develop new disease prevention, diagnostic and treatment methods while identifying causal mechanisms of diseases in oral and maxillofacial regions at the molecular level
- Ability to develop infection control measures while identifying causal mechanisms of microbiological attributes and infectious diseases related to oral and maxillofacial regions at the molecular level
Career Paths after Completion
- Clinical dentists who are in a leading position at local communities
- Clinical dentists who are in a leading position at medical institutions abroad
- Institutional / corporate researchers involved in dental medicine
- Institutional / corporate researchers involved in advanced clinical dentistry
- Academic staff
3 Policies for Program of Dental Sciences (Doctoral Course)
Degrees (Doctor of Philosophy in Dental Science or Doctor of Philosophy) are conferred on students who complete necessary credits; pass their thesis review / the final examination, after receiving research guidance, and fulfill the following qualities:
- Ability to integrate / develop the field of dental medicine through carrying out the advanced basic dental research
- Ability to develop the advanced dental medicine resulted from clinical application based on the advanced basic dental research, and the ability to widely spread the studies at both local and international levels
The program enforces the educational curriculum organized under the following policies based on the diploma policy.
- The program offers the curriculum consisting of lectures, advanced seminars and research.
- Students acquire a rich sense of humanity taking mandatory subjects on life/clinical ethics.
- The program offers omnibus lecture courses as common subjects to acquire an extensive specialized knowledge necessary for dental research.
- The program offers specialized subjects for the program to acquire advanced level of expert knowledge and research competency in the field of dentistry.
Based on the diploma policy and curriculum policy, Division of Biomedical Sciences is seeking the following students:
- Those who are willing to be engaged in basic and clinical advanced research in the fields of medicine, dentistry, pharmaceutical science and radiation medical science
- Those who are willing to acquire basic and clinical knowledge widely in life science or radiation biology and medicine, beyond the current frameworks of the fields of medicine, dentistry, pharmaceutical science and radiation medical science
- Those who are willing to be engaged in highly advanced medical treatment
- Those who are willing to obtain high expertise and play an active role internationally in the fields of medicine, dentistry, and pharmaceutical science and radiation medical science
- Those who are willing to continue their career enhancement in a medical field and contribute to community health care as members of the society