The rapid rise in the aging population and changes in life styles and living conditions have a great impact on disease structures in Japan. In response to increased social demands to medical services, it has become important to progress highly advanced medical treatments to cure serious diseases in the elderly such as cancer, dementia and lifestyle diseases. Moreover, there is a need for further promotion of a team healthcare that medical professionals including doctors, pharmacists and nurses make a good use of their expertise while collaborating to provide medical practice.
It is indispensable to develop new drugs with high quality, safety and effectiveness for highly advanced medical treatment. Responding to rapid medical advances, regenerative medicine based on genetic engineering and custom-made treatment offering therapies by individual characteristics have been conducted. There is a strong demand to cultivate internationally active pharmaceutical researchers, as the globalization of the drug discovery field rapidly proceeds. Also, it is essential for the personnel engaged in development of new medicines to learn medicinal sciences employing advanced life science technologies, drug delivery system, bio-imaging technologies, drug repositioning, biopharmaceuticals including nucleic acid medicine and antibody medicine, clinical diagnostic agents, biomolecules for targeting drug discovery. The program that provides students opportunities to obtain research skills and global competency necessary to facilitate drug development in Japan, aims to foster the personnel who can take leadership roles in research for creation of medicines.
Program of Medicinal Sciences (Doctoral Course), offering a curriculum to acquire research and international skills that promotes drug development in Japan, after understanding current conditions and problems of health care and pharmacotherapy, is established to cultivate human resources who can play active parts in drug discovery research.
According to the increased expectation for development of new drugs for public health maintenance, there are problems that cannot be solved in conventional research fields. The program aims to cultivate the personnel who can take leadership roles in extensive disciplines as follows:
- Those who acquire deeper knowledge and profound perspectives on medicinal sciences for innovative drug development
- Those who can contribute to the development of medicinal sciences / life pharmacy in Japan through pharmaceutical education and research
- Those who carry out applied research based on medicinal sciences and life pharmacy with a global perspective
Education / Research Objectives
Innovation of new medicines that directly relates with public health is also important to enhance global competitiveness in the economy. However, contribution and satisfaction of medical treatment using pharmaceuticals among patients are still low. Actually, many unmet medical needs still remain, and new research / technology developments are required. The doctoral program aims to help students acquire individual expertise that contributes to advances / applications of medicinal sciences and life pharmacy with an international perspective.
Career Paths after Completion
- Researchers / specialists at health facilities, pharmaceutical companies, health-related companies and food companies
- Advanced technologists / technology officers at public research institutes related to pharmaceutical products
- Educators and researchers at higher educational organizations including universities
3 Policies for Program of Medicinal Sciences (Doctoral Course)
Degree (Doctor of Medicinal Science) is conferred on students who complete necessary credits; pass their thesis review / the final examination, after receiving research guidance, and fulfill the following qualities:
- Deeper knowledge and profound perspectives on medicinal sciences
- Ability to contribute to the development of medicinal sciences / life pharmacy in Japan through pharmaceutical education and research, pursuing to be faculty members or public officers in drug development / administration
- Ability to carry out applied research based on medicinal sciences and life pharmacy with a global perspective
The program enforces the educational curriculum organized under the following policies based on the diploma policy.
- The program offers the curriculum consisting of lectures, advanced seminars and research.
- Students will acquire a rich sense of humanity taking mandatory subjects on life/clinical ethics.
- The program offers “advanced lecture on medicinal science” as a compulsory subject to acquire advanced research skills by using expertise in pharmaceutical knowledge focused on education / research, so that students can obtain the ability to contribute to the enhancement of medicinal sciences / life pharmacy fields in Japan through medicinal sciences curriculum.
- The program offers omnibus lectures as compulsory elective subjects that enable to deepen a range of knowledge and succeed in practical research activities based on medicinal sciences and life pharmacy with an international perspective.
Based on the diploma and curriculum policies, the program seeks the following students:
- Those who are willing to acquire the ability to promote medicinal sciences research
- Those who are willing to acquire the ability to take leadership roles in developing education / research of medicinal sciences and life pharmacy in Japan
- Those who are willing to take leadership roles in developing new medicines at the international stage
|Microbiology||Pharmacognosy||Functional Molecular Science|
|Synthetic Organic Chemistry||Pharmacology||Pharmaceutics and Therapeutics|
|Probiotic Science for Preventive Medicine|