Dramatic progresses in life science research are remarkably changing medicine, health care, dentistry, and dental care in recent years. For example, expectations for solutions of modern medical issues are growing, through precision medicine based on genetic diagnosis, regenerative medicine using iPS cells, genome-based drug discovery, and applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in health care. At the same time, more complex issues are arising, such as changes in the disease structure caused by the combination of declining birthdate and aging, issues of medical ethics, improvements in the quality of patients’ life, liaison with welfare engineering. It is difficult for health professionals alone to respond to these biomedical science areas, and therefore, there is a need for human resources with a wide range of professional backgrounds necessary for interdisciplinary education.
This program admits students who acquired special knowledge and skills in four-year faculties other than medicine, dentistry, pharmaceutical sciences, or veterinary medicine except for 6-year curriculum, and offers systematic and intensive studies in biomedical science, medicine and dentistry, to pursue to develop the personnel who can contribute to the promotion of advanced and interdisciplinary research activities in biomedical science, medicine and dentistry.
Furthermore, the program focuses to cultivate the personnel with highly specialized knowledge capable of taking leadership roles in extensive interdisciplinary research fields involved in medical services, pharmacology, and medical engineering.
The program aims to cultivate the following personnel:
- Those who can promote basic / applied biomedical sciences at academic / research institutions on various interdisciplinary fields including biomedical science
- Those who can engage in research development at healthcare companies
- Those who can take leadership roles as medical practitioners with research-oriented mind at health facilities
Education / Research Objectives
The program aims to foster the personnel with highly advanced research skills in basic and applied medical and dental sciences，facilitating cutting edge interdisciplinary research activities and offering systematic / intensive education on life sciences and dental sciences.
Career Paths after Completion
- Researchers health-related companies involved in biotechnology or pharmacy
- Health care providers with research-oriented mind at medical facilities
- Educators / researchers at educational or research organizations
- Proceeding to doctoral courses
3 Policies for Program of Biomedical Science (Master’s Course)
Degree (Master of Medical Science, Master of Dental Science, or Master of Science) is conferred on students who complete necessary credits; pass their thesis review / the final examination, after receiving research guidance, and fulfill the following qualities:
- Fundamental knowledge on basic medical / dental research
- Understanding the roles of basic medicine and dental research in society
- Understanding applications and implementations of basic medicine and dental research
- Ability to facilitate basic medicine and dental research at educational research institutes
- Ability required for research development or medical related works in companies involved in biotechnology / medical service
- Ability to provide health care services as health professionals with research-oriented mind at medical institutions
The program enforces the educational curriculum organized under the following policies based on the diploma policy.
- The program offers the curriculum consisting of lectures, seminars / practicum, and advanced research.
- Students will acquire fundamental knowledge on medical and dental research, after completing basic medical and dental subjects.
- Students will understand the roles of medical and dental research in society, after completing subjects in social medicine and dentistry including bioethics and clinical ethics.
- Students will understand applications and implementations of medical and dental research, after completing subjects in clinical medicine and dentistry.
- Students will acquire the ability to facilitate basic medicine and dental research in educational / research institutions by applying the knowledge and skills learned through 1-3.
- Students will acquire the ability to conduct research development or medical services in companies or other organizations by applying the knowledge and skills learned through 1-3.
Based on the diploma and curriculum policies, the program seeks the following students:
- Those who are willing to acquire a broad knowledge on biomedical science, medicine and dentistry
- Those who are willing to carry out basic and applied research in biomedical science, medicine and dentistry
- Those who are willing to promote basic medicine and dental research at educational / research institutions
- Those who are willing to engage in research development or medical services in companies related to biotechnology or medicine
- Those who are willing to provide medical care as research oriented health professionals in medical institutions