A medical physicist is an occupation of contributing to appropriate radiation therapy practice from the perspective of medical physics specialists. According to current social situations, there is growing demand to develop qualified human resources in graduate schools.
Hiroshima University established the Medical Physics Course (Master’s Course), Medical and Dental Sciences Major, Graduate School of Biomedical & Health Sciences in April 2012, offering education curriculum required to become qualified medical physicists.
The Program of Medical Physicist aims to cultivate highly specialized professionals who can play active roles in medical physics fields, educators and researchers who can contribute to promote medical physics fields widely, and those who can take international leaderships in medical physics.
The program aims to cultivate the following personnel:
- Medical professionals and technologists including medical physicists as highly skilled experts in medical physics who can cope with advancements in enhanced and diversified medicine, dentistry and health sciences at hospitals or health facilities
- Educators and researchers who can contribute to promote medical physics fields at various educational institutions
- Those who can take international leaderships in medical physics
Education / Research Objectives
The program aims to nurture the followings:
- Medical professionals / educators who possess enriched knowledge on medicine, dentistry, pharmaceutical sciences and health sciences, extensive competencies such as knowledge, techniques and attitudes required of medical physicists, and problem-solving abilities in different medical teams
- Personnel who possess research skills required to advance to doctoral programs
Career Paths after Completion
- Officers involved in medical physics at research organizations
- Corporate researchers
- Academic staff
- Highly specialized professionals in medical physics
- Medical practitioners at health care facilities
- Proceeding to doctoral courses
3 Policies for Program of Medical Physicist (Master’s Course)
Degree (Master of Medical Physicist) is conferred on students who complete necessary credits; pass their thesis review / the final examination, after receiving research guidance, and fulfill the following qualities:
- Enriched knowledge and problem-solving skills in extensive fields: medicine, dentistry, pharmaceutical sciences and physics
- Creative and future oriented attitudes for research
- Required knowledge and skills to become an examine of qualified medical physicists
The program enforces the educational curriculum organized under the following policies based on the diploma policy.
- The program offers the curriculum consisting of lectures, advanced seminars and research.
- Students will acquire a rich sense of humanity taking mandatory subjects on life/clinical ethics.
- Students will acquire a comprehensive expert knowledge along with medical physics specialization studies, basic research methods and a wide range of specialized subjects beyond the boundaries of fields that expand research opportunities at doctoral programs.
- Students will acquire knowledge / skills required to take the certification to become an examinee of qualified medical physicists, upon satisfactory completion of medical physics education and training accredited by Japanese Board for Medical Physicist Qualification (JBMP).
Based on the diploma and curriculum policies, the program seeks the following students:
- Those who are willing to acquire a wide range of knowledge on medical physics
- Those who are willing to conduct basic and clinical research in medical physics
- Those who are willing to engage in professional works including quality assurance of radiological equipment and nuclear disaster prevention, in addition to knowledge / expertise in medical physics
- Those who pursue to become medical physicists