Education and Student Life

The Graduate School of Engineering (Information Engineering)

Motaz Sabri

Motaz Sabri (Palestine)

○2013.4~2013.9 Research Student
○2013.10~ Master's Program, Graduate School of Engineering

1. Why did you choose the major you are studying?

10 years ago, I dreamed to become a robot designer. However, when I realized that better technology was essential to improving my country’s economic situation, I decided to take on this major. As the first step in strengthening my global understanding, I choose Japan and more specifically, Hiroshima University.

2. Could you explain your research in detail?

My research is about Hit Mapping via eye tracking. I first started this research as a graduation project in my homeland of Palestine. With the technology I am developing, people who have lost hands or arms due to war will be able to operate a computer with their eyes. For example, the user can click the screen through eye brightness and movement. This technology can also be used for home security, driving control, computer control, simulative learning, web marketing, etc. Eye tracking through low-cost web cameras liberates users from the obligation of using complex and expensive software. With this consumer-orientation goal in mind, I continue to conduct research here at Hiroshima University.

Motaz Sabri

3. When you came to Japan, what do you think about the courses that you attended?

My classes are held in English 70% of the time with the remaining 30% in Japanese. Taking classes in Japanese has difficulties at times, but after classes, I make an effort to translate class materials in order to deepen my knowledge regarding my research. The Japanese language classes that I took helped strengthen my Japanese comprehension. For the most part, my classes are held in English, but for teachers who do not have English fluency, they still do their best to speak English as much as possible. In this way, I am able to follow the class lecture.

 4. What is the atmosphere like in your faculty study room?

I believe I have been blessed with a good environment for my research office. Surrounded by many knowledgeable friends increases my motivation and creativity. People are always willing to help me whenever I have problems with my research. This is why I love the senpai-kouhai (same faculty students who are either a year ahead or a year behind) culture here in Japan. Two of my senpai and eight kohai also study and work in my research office and have always been so helpful to me.

Motaz Sabri

5. Please allow me to ask a question about your future goals. What kind of job would you like to do?

I am not completely sure, but as of now, I have three possibilities. The first one depends on my country’s circumstances. If the peace in my homeland continues, I would like to pursue my Ph.D here in Japan. However, if the situation in Palestine worsens, the second option I have is to return home to be with my family. After finishing my Ph.D, I would like to work as a professor at the university level and use the skills I acquired to serve my country. Lastly, I may work at Tobii Technology, a high-technology company in Sweden that develops and sells products for eye control and eye track, the same subject as my research.